Monday 7 September 2015

Sensei Angelo Sanna Course including referee training.

Sensei Sanna is Chief Referee for the WTKO (World Traditional Karate Organisation). He graded to Rokudan (6th Dan) under the esteemed Enoeda Shihan. He is an A class referee, A level Instructor, B level Examiner and A level Referee, all awarded by Tanaka, Osaka and Ueki Sensei in Tokyo.
As some are aware, I started off my karate journey in Shotokan, attaining my Shodan under Sensei Kato. I have always maintained my Shotokan roots and regularly attend courses with my fellow Shotokan karateka. Recently I joined the WTKO as an independent member to keep in touch with my Shotokan heritage. They have a pool if renowned instructors that Sanna Sensei is part of. The course I attended yesterday was of the same high standard I have come to expect from the WTKO. It was hosted by Glenn Riley Sensei at the Akashi Dojo at Leeds.
The course consisted of a two hour training session then a further two hour study session for Senior Grades on refereeing and judging.
During the first two hours we concentrated on a number of points. Efficiency of movement when stepping either forward or back whilst punching. This involved avoiding unnecessary extra movement that would slow down your technique and warm your opponent of your intention.
We then moved on to the best way to deal with a mawashigeri by not blocking, but instead attacking, either punching or kicking the opponent before the kick fully forms.
Finally we were shown how to make basic kihon more interesting by modifying kihon kata using basic kicks, blocks and punches.

The referees course was a less physical part of the day, yet no less demanding. Sanna Sensei went though the WTKO Referee and Judges manual giving examples of terminology, signals and whistle blows. This session was a precursor to a future examination in the next 6 months. If the attendees wanted to sit the exam they would need to study and practice hard over the months ahead. Depending on their grade and experience would depend on what level qualification they could attain.
By the time this was over my head was throbbing. So much to learn.

No comments: